emnify's communication platform hosts an OpenVPN service that allows you to establish a private network between a device and any remote client location. The remote client can be on the application server or any machine that wants to access the device remotely (such as operational staff).
IoT device requirements
Your IoT device doesn't need a private APN, OpenVPN software, or dynamic DNS resolution to use the OpenVPN service. Through the emnify SIM, each device has a static private IP address that you can use to identify and address the device.
At the same time, the IoT device can send data through the private tunnel to the IP address of the remote machine.
Set up OpenVPN using the emnify Portal
The following steps are required to set up OpenVPN on your machine:
- Log in to the emnify Portal.
- Go to Device Policies and set the Service Policy to a VPN breakout region (for example,
- Then, navigate to Integrations and find the Secure Connection section. On the OpenVPN panel, click Show Instructions.
- Select your operating system and install the OpenVPN software.
- Download and store the VPN configuration file for your region.
- Create the
credentials.txtfile as instructed, using either your user credentials or your organization ID and application token (recommended)
- Follow the remaining steps in the Portal to start the OpenVPN application or service on your operating system.
You can't use accounts with multi-factor authentication (MFA) enabled to authenticate the OpenVPN tunnel.